Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb). I could see this not only being a vegetarian-friendly Thanksgiving entree, but an easy weeknight meal for colder months ahead. Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie with mushrooms, carrots, peas, gravy and baked under creamy mashed potatoes. ♡ Plant based! Shepherd's Pie season is upon us and this super cozy vegetarian version is running around on the loose in our house.
A vegetarian Shepherd's Pie infused with the most fragrant Indian spices, along with black lentils, veggies Truly one of the most delicious vegetarian dinner recipes on the blog! The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see.- The result is a delicious low carb vegan shepherds pie that the whole family will love! Shepherd's pie was a classic that many households in Australia and Britain grew up with and started as a way for people to make left-over scraps of meat and vegetables into a delicious meal. You can have Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb) using 28 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb)
- Prepare of Equipment.
- Prepare 2 of Pans.
- It’s 1 of Baking Tray (I think mine was approx 20cm x 20cm).
- Prepare 1 of Food Pocessor (I used my trusty Nutribullet).
- It’s of Oven.
- Prepare of Produce.
- Prepare 1 of Celery Sticks (finely chopped).
- It’s 1 of Carrots (finely chopped).
- You need 1/2-1 of Leek (finely chopped).
- It’s 200 gms of Mushrooms (some sliced, some finely chopped).
- Prepare 1/2 of Medium Onion (finely chopped).
- It’s 2 of Garlic Clove (finely chopped).
- It’s 1 tbs of fresh Parsley (finely chopped).
- It’s 3 sprigs of Thyme (leave whole).
- It’s 1 head of Cauliflower (processed) – for the topping.
- It’s of Others.
- You need 1 1/2 of tab Dried Mix Herbs (or Pizza herbs).
- Prepare 1 tbs of Tomato Paste.
- You need 1 tsp of Paprika.
- Prepare 3 tsp of salt (2 for filling, 1 for topping).
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of Pepper (1 for filling, 2/2 for topping).
- You need 1 tbs of Rice Flour (mixed in with 1/2 cup cold water).
- You need 1 1/2 cups of Water.
- Prepare 2 Cups of Almond Milk (for the topping).
- Prepare 1 tbs of butter (for the topping – I used a dairy free version).
- Prepare 3 tbs of Parmesan (for the topping – I used a Vegan Parmesan).
- You need 1 Can of lentils (drained and rinsed).
- You need 2 tbs of Olive Oil.
Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie is a meatless take on a classic comfort dish. Swap the meat for mushrooms and quinoa & it all gets smothered in a rich gravy sauce. This easy vegan shepherd's pie recipe is the perfect main course for fancy holiday dinners and weeknight meals alike. It's rich and savory, healthy and full of wonderful winter flavors.
Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb) instructions
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare vegetables as per ingredients instructions (pic doesn't show the Cauliflower once put in the food processor or the rice flour mixture).
- Place 1tbs Olive oil in a pan, add the onion and saute for 5mins..
- While the onion sautes, in the other pan, add the processed Cauliflower, 2 cups almond milk, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper to the other pan. Place lid on pan and leave to simmer covered (I didn't take any pics, sorry). This will cook down for approx 15 – 20mins cooking (or until softened).
- Back to the filling pan, Add the other tbs olive oil and then leek and garlic and saute for a further 3 minutes. Then add the Mushrooms, carrot, celery, parsley, tomato paste, thyme, mixed herbs, paprika, 2 tsp salt & 1 tsp pepper and stir..
- Add the lentils and 1 1/2 cups Water and stir. Bring to the boil, turn down to simmer for approx 10mins.
- Just before the filling is ready, add the rice flour water mixture and cook for a minute or so and place the filling mixture into the baking tray.
- For the topping, place the cooked down Cauliflower mixture in a Food processor (I used a Nutribullet), with the butter and 2tbs Parmesan and blitz until smooth..
- Spread the Cauliflower Mash over the top of the filling, sprinkle the last tablespoon of Parmesan over the top and bake for 30mins..
- Once finished, serve. You can leave in the oven for longer for a browner top. I was too hungry to wait and it was great anyway (although doesn't make for the prettiest of pics 😂).
Don't be surprised if you find yourself making this easy vegetarian shepherd's pie multiple times per week! The Best Vegan Shepherd's Pie features protein rich lentils with a medley of vegetables in a rich gravy, topped with classic mashed potatoes and baked to perfection for a rustic, comfort food everyone will love! Savory, comforting, hearty, easy to make and delicious – this Vegan Shepherd's Pie pretty. To get the nice browned top, turn on the boiler and watch the pie closely until it's browned on top (if your broiler is under your oven, you'll have to transfer the pie to the bottom drawer). This is the perfect comfort food which is plant-based, gluten-free and easy to make.