Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup).
You can cook Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) using 22 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup)
- It’s 3-4 of cinnamon sticks, broken up.
- Prepare 1 of star anise.
- It’s 2 tbsp of coriander seeds.
- Prepare 4-5 of cloves.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, peeled and chopped.
- Prepare 2 inch of piece ginger, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 of large carrot, peeled and cubed.
- You need 1/2-3/4 cup of sliced shitake mushrooms (or button mushrooms).
- Prepare 2-3 of green chilies/jalapenos slit (according to your taste).
- It’s 8 cups of water (or half vegetable broth and half water).
- It’s 2 tsp of soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 cup of rice noodles (or any other noodles your prefer).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of oil.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- You need of For garnishing or topping:.
- Prepare as needed of Mung bean sprouts.
- You need 5-6 of baby spinach leaves.
- You need 1 of Chopped green onions or scallions.
- You need as needed of Chopped coriander Leaves.
- You need as needed of Lemon or lime wedges.
- Prepare to taste of Hot chilli sauce (Sriracha or any chilli garlic sauce).
- You need as needed of Chopped jalapenos.
Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup) step by step
- In a large saucepan, dry roast coriander seeds, cloves, star anise and cinnamon sticks on medium heat until lightly toasted; do not char or burn..
- In another large deep pot, heat 2 to 3 tbsp of oil and once hot, stir in chopped onions and ginger. Char on medium high heat until lightly browned..
- Add the toasted spices, carrots and fry again for a few seconds..
- Stir in sliced shiitake mushrooms (or button mushrooms if using) and saute for a few seconds on high..
- Add water (or a mix of broth and water) and bring to a boil. Add soy sauce, green chilies, salt to taste, mix and simmer covered for about 30 minutes for all the flavors to blend..
- Meanwhile, prepare all the toppings or garnishes, along with cooking the noodles according to package directions. Keep aside. After 30 minutes, strain the whole mixture using a strainer or colander and keep the broth hot and ready. Taste and add salt if needed. I have added the carrots back into the strained broth for texture and extra fiber!.
- Divide the broth into large soup bowls, add toppings of your choice; noodles, spinach, green onions, cilantro, sprouts etc. and serve with a spoon and chopsticks! A squeeze of lime or lemon juice and heavenly vegetarian pho from the land of Vietnam is ready to be enjoyed in your own home! #Soup..
- If needed, you can stir in chilli sauce according to your taste for extra heat and spice; just a little in each bowl! This is totally optional. Enjoy!!.
- Other additional toppings are tofu or paneer (Indian cottage cheese), sprigs of fresh mint, etc. Store extra broth in the refrigerator and enjoy fresh soup with toppings anytime. #Wintersoup..