Moroccan Chickpea Soup.
You can cook Moroccan Chickpea Soup using 20 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Moroccan Chickpea Soup
- Prepare 2 of fennel bulbs, diced.
- You need 1 of medium onion, diced.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Olive oil.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of fresh Turmeric root, minced.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of fresh Ginger root, minced.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Cilantro stalks, minced.
- Prepare 2 tsp of whole coriander.
- Prepare 2 tsp of whole cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1 tsp of anise seed (optional).
- You need 4-5 cups of vegetable stock.
- Prepare 1 can of roasted diced tomatoes.
- You need 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained.
- Prepare 2 cups of packed fresh spinach, chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro leaves chopped.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of onion powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of smoked paprika.
- Prepare 1 tsp of kosher salt (give or take to taste).
- Prepare 1 tsp of Harissa blend spice, or crushed chilies (adjust according to heat preference).
- Prepare of Plain Yoghurt for garnish (plain coconut yoghurt for vegan option).
Moroccan Chickpea Soup step by step
- Toast whole coriander, cumin and anise seeds in dry frying pan until fragrant. Set aside to cool..
- Sauté chopped onions and fennel in large Dutch oven over medium low heat with olive oil until translucent, about 5-10 mins. Add garlic, ginger, turmeric and cilantro stems. Stir until softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes..
- Grind whole toasted spices in mortar and pestle until mostly smooth. Add to pot and stir..
- Add can of tomatoes and vegetable stock, onion powder and paprika. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 20 mins. Meanwhile, drain and rinse chickpeas. Roll off skins if you desire..
- Add chickpeas to pot, and simmer covered for 10 mins..
- Add spinach and cilantro to pot and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add salt to taste..
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a heaping tablespoon of yoghurt. Garnish with more chopped cilantro. Serve with flatbread or pita..