"Tonjiru" (Japanese style Pork soup). Tonjiru (豚汁) is a hearty miso soup with pork slices and vegetables. Packed with loads of vegetables and a small amount of pork, tonjiru is quite filling but you will be surprised to know the calories in tonjiru are low. It is considered to be a winter dish in Japan but I can't see why we shouldn't have it all year round.
Tonjiru is a classic winter dish of slowly stewed slices of pork mixed with vegetables and served in a dashi and miso flavoured soup broth. A popular recipe all over Japan due to being quick, easy, versatile, and delicious, this soup is bound to become a favourite in your household as well. Tonjiru (or Butajiru) is a kind of Miso Soup with pork and a lot of root vegetables such as Gobo (burdock root) and carrot. You can cook "Tonjiru" (Japanese style Pork soup) using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of "Tonjiru" (Japanese style Pork soup)
- Prepare 2 slice of Thinly sliced pork belly.
- It’s 1 of Daikon radish.
- Prepare 1 of Carrot.
- Prepare 1 of Chinese cabbage.
- Prepare 1 slice of Usuage.
- Prepare 1/2 of Konnyaku.
- Prepare 1 of to garnish Japanese leek (green onions).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Sesame oil.
- You need 1 of Hon-Dashi dashi stock powder.
- It’s 1 of MIso.
Even though it is a Miso soup, Tonjiru tastes very different from ordinary Miso Soup. Tonjiru has a distinct pork flavor and strong taste from Gobo. In Japanese, "ton" (豚) means pork and shiru (汁) means soup. These words come together to make Tonjiru which means 'Pork Soup', so pork is kind of a must item to have for the dish.
"Tonjiru" (Japanese style Pork soup) step by step
- Cut the pork, vegetables and other ingredients in roughly the same size to your liking. Put the sesame oil in a frying pan and stir fry the prepared ingredients..
- Add some water (not on the list) and cook further until the pork and vegetables soften, then add dashi stock granules. Dissolve the miso into the soup. Adjust to taste..
- Sprinkle on the green onions to garnish..
The reason this is such a popular home cooking dish is simple, it's more filling. Great recipe for Tonjiru (Japanese Pork Soup). I love miso soup with lots of ingredients. I use all kinds of leftover bits of vegetables in this, so it helps clear out your refrigerator too! Adjust the amount of miso to your family's taste.